[Yum-devel] proof of concept patch - additional data on installed packages

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 26 16:00:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 13:12 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:

> looks cool, but there is some issues.
>
> po.repoid is overwritten, so you can't do 'if po.repoid=='installed':'
> anymore, this will break some code. (yumex, PackageKit, others i don't
> know about), i can fix yumex & PackageKit, but there might be others out
> there. I'm cool about it, but maybe it is not the right thing to do i a
> "Stable" branch :).

We talked about this one on irc for a while, Yah, we can't do the repoid
overwriting b/c it breaks a lot of things. I was just using it as a
proof of concept to what we can do. I think setting things like
po.from_repoid is pretty safe and/or fixing the checks against repoid in
a future devel release.

> Storing attributes in a flat file, wouldn't it be better to use an
> sqlite db, i know it make it a little harder to do, but i is more clean
> IMHO.

well it's just a directory structure with one item per file but the real
reason is I wanted something I could test to see what the hang ups would
be inside yum and writing it to a flat file in a directory is much
faster to code up. If we were going to introduce it into yum I'd
recommend replacing the calls to add/get/del/_read/_write with something
like a db.

The only one advantage the filesystem-as-a-db format gives us is pretty
infinite flexibility for adding attributes. However, indexing it won't
be as much fun.

anyway - all your points are true - and things to work on. I wasn't
planning on checking it in, but maybe later.