[Yum-devel] problems discussed at the yum talk at fudcon

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 23 00:30:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 17:36 -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 07:16:12PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > I gave a talk on yum at fudcon. It was fairly well attended. I decided
> > to preempt the 'yum sucks' portion of the talk by putting up a white
> > board with 'yum problems' written across it then asking for what
> > problems people have with yum.
> >
> > Here's the list I got, some of them were suggested by people with less
> > than complete sincerity:
> >
> > - add/deal with non-requires relationships
> > (suggests/enhances/recommends)
>
> This is of interest.
>
> Firmware-tools has a packaging standard for drivers and firmware that
> would benefit from enhancements in this area. SUSE already uses similar
> suggests/enhances/recommends in their packaging format for
> drivers/firmware and it would be nice if everybody were on the same
> standard. Right now we cannot start doing anything here because the
> underlying tools dont support it.

the issue, of course, is that rpm.org does not support it and probably
won't in the way that suse has currently implemented it.

I understand the need to support them at some point but at this time it
seems like we'd run the risk of having to maintain multiple standards of
these which is definitely not something I'd want to do.

I'm open to functional suggestions that include solutions to the user
interaction questions.