[Yum-devel] Using yum depsolver to convert i686 -> x86_64?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 15:15:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:35:26 -0500 (EST)
Charlie Brady <charlieb-yum-devel at budge.apana.org.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Charlie Brady wrote:
>
> > Has there been any discussion of what would be involved to do an
> > in-place conversion from i686/i386 to x86_64?
>
> Does no-one have any view on this?

It's somewhat uncharted territory.  None of the tools are designed to
handle it, and you're likely going to have a few breaks along the way.

Start with installing kernel.x86_64 and glibc.x86_64 and the deps
thereof, reboot to that, and then install all the x86_64 versions of
what you ahve already, but you're going to run into conflicts.  It
would be slightly easier if you were doing package upgrades at the same
time, so that the nvr would change.

--
Jesse Keating