[Yum-devel] problems discussed at the yum talk at fudcon

Tim Lauridsen tim.lauridsen at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 21 13:33:09 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> I gave a talk on yum at fudcon. It was fairly well attended. I decided
> to preempt the 'yum sucks' portion of the talk by putting up a white
> board with 'yum problems' written across it then asking for what
> problems people have with yum.
>
> Here's the list I got, some of them were suggested by people with less
> than complete sincerity:
>
> - it's not apt :)
Can be fixed with electro chock treatment of the users saying this :)
> - no bittorrent support :)
This is really bad, yum can't download and use ISO files directly and
can't be used to get illegal copies of adult movies. :)
Same solution as above. :)
> - no localization
This should be a priority, first step is to move the i18n from cli to
base, so we can translate base strings.
> - the output is either too much or too little (depending on whom you ask
> and what time of day it is)
Some work of how the logging is done and controlled, to many levels.
somthing like :
yum --silent	: No output
yum -v		: Extra verbosity
yum -vv		: Debug verbosity.

I like the python logging, but this
self.verbose_logger.log(logginglevels.DEBUG_1,"Some Debug message")
hurts my eyes.

Tim