[Yum-devel] Outdated Yum Cache

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 09:44:37 UTC 2008

Hi!

I've run several time into the problem that yum works on a outdated cache
and because of that the results of the depsolving doesn't match the results
of the rpmlib. Yesterday we has a similar case of someone updating his
Fedora installation to a newer release. Then I thought "Damn it! Yum must
handle this more gracefully." After having a short look into the source I
found code that should handle this - in fact the code looked sane, was
unchanged since last september and I started questioning my own memory.

Yesterday night it came to my mind what is the problem: When
(fedora|livna|whatever)-release gets updated the new repo files get
installed with their build time which is most likely older that the current
yum cache. This means - as long as the repo files are not edited by hand -
our cache outdating mechanism fails most of the time.

I have to admit that I don't have a nice solution for this problem, yet. The
*-relase rpms could just touch their repo files in a post script. We could
save the SHA1 hash of the config/repo files in the cache and check for them.

Any other ideas, comments or plans to save the world?

Florian