[Yum-devel] YumRepository._loadRepoXML proposed changes

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 13:56:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:02 +0100, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> James Antill wrote:
> >  This is the latest patch for the grouped MD policy loading, you can
> > either get the patch or the git repo here:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/jantill/gits/yum/#_groupLoadRepoXML
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/jantill/yum/_groupLoadRepoXML.patch
>
> I got a Traceback after applying the patch.
> It is a typo in
>
> yumRepo.py
>      def _groupCheckOldDataMDValid(self, olddata, omdtype, mdtype):
>          if not self._checkMD(local, omdtype, openchecksum=uncompressed,
>                               data=olddata, check_can_fail=True):
> after changing 'data=' to 'thisdata=' it was working.

 Yeh, that was a change I did from what I've been testing to make the
diff smaller. Damn.

> > ...the only differences are that the git version includes the config.py
> > changes and a minor change to "yum makecache" (although, you can try it
> > out easier then, maybe :).
> >  I've integrated the simple changes, which didn't change/add any
> > functionality ... so this version should be much easier to read, to see
> > what is actually changing.
> >
> >  The major things to look at are:
> >
> > 1. mdpolicy, is that a fine config. name?
> Sounds fine to me
> > 2. Do we want to allow per. repo. configuration?
> +1
> > 3. any comments on the group:main, group:small, group:primary policy
> > types? Bad names, you want different functionality?
> what is the 'group:' prfix needed for ?
> why not just 'mdpolicy=<small|primary|main>'

 So the options are:

 instant == exact same as old behaviour
 group:all == groups downloads of all MD with repomd.xml
 group:main == groups downloads of primary, group, filelists, updateinfo
               (everything but other == changelog info.) with repomd.xml
 group:small == groups downloads of primary, updateinfo with repomd.xml
 group:primary == groups download of primary with repomd.xml

 group == default group behaviour, currently == group:all

...I'm happy to change the names, but just "small" doesn't seem to give
a hint to what it's doing ... to me.

> > 4. Does anyone want to insist on the old behaviour being the default
> > instead of it always downloading the primary MD now too? Or someone want
> > to argue for something else, group:small seems sane to me as does
> > group:main (changelog data, not as much :).
> small as default, should benefit user with low bandwidth, not everybody
>   has a 20/2 Mbit DSL (most people dont).
> The most important thing is not make it download more data by default
> than it does today.

 Ok, so from the above that would be instant, group:primary or
group:small ... I don't think there's any realistic cases where
group:primary will download more than instant, group:small can do but
updateinfo is pretty small (when it exists) and it is used a lot.
 I'll leave it as group:primary, and we can experiment post merge.

> > 5. Should we also change _instantLoadRepoXML() so it doesn't fail when
> > there is no network, or just wait for the urlgrabber change?
> Change _instantLoadRepoXML() now, and adopt changes in urlgrabber laters.

 Ok, the reason I hadn't done that already was that I was keeping the
"instant" behaviour identical to the old code. But that seems fair.

> > 6. Does anyone care about the C-c behaviour, and should that be fixed
> > before the initial merge?
> IMHO i do not need to be fixed before a merge, but it need to be fixed
> before next yum release.

 Ok, I'll look at that.

> > 7. Anything else you want me to change before I merge?
> >
> What about finding the golden solution to all multilib issues,reduce the
> amount of CO2 let into the atmosphere and reduce the taxes in Denmark  :) :)

 :)

> No, just merge it.

 Ok, I'll do it later today ... unless anyone else objects.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat