[Yum-devel] Expanding on shortest name wins for deps., using sourcerpm and common prefix of name

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 21:09:43 UTC 2008

 So one interesting thing notting found on IRC was that:

yum install totem-debuginfo

...wants to bring in xmms-lirc instead of totem-lirc, because xmms is
shorter (the dep. is for liblirc.so() ... which they both provide).
After talking with about it on IRC it was suggested we could do two
things before falling back to shortest name:

1. See if the .sourcrpm's match with the requiring pkg
2. See if the "common prefix" is better with the requiring pkg.

...in either case totem-debuginfo then pulls in totem-lirc, and in cases
where both the above fail it does what it does now (say no common prefix
for either, and neither is from the same src.rpm). I've implemented both
at:

http://people.redhat.com/jantill/yum/patches/common-prefix-decides.patch

...anyone have any objections or different ideas?

 The only potential "interesting" output I could see is if a prefix
isn't really a prefix Ie. common prefix length of 0 vs. 1 or something.
But even here it only means it becomes as arbitrary as shortest name,
IMO.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat