[Yum-devel] locking

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 05:31:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 22:57 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> With this in mind would it be a good idea to change yum's lock mechanism
> such that:
>
> - the global lock means "the rpmdb is locked/transaction in progress"
> - each repo cachedir had a lockfile that could be placed to keep that
> repository dir from being changed

For whatever it's worth, I've had a note on my todo list saying to add
this for a while.  And we should make the lock files on repos happen
automatically without API callers having to do anything.  It would then
start to be safe to do things like using the global cache
(/var/cache/yum) as the cache for other API-users that don't necessarily
deal with updating the system such as livecd-creator and pungi

Jeremy