[Yum-devel] RFC: Plugin to output compact search results

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 18 19:17:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 14:27 -0400, James Antill wrote:
> So this might be a general, what's better seperate commands or plugins
> providing options to current commands.
>
>  Internally at Red Hat someone mentioned that they didn't like the fact
> that "yum search foo" provided much more output than "apt-cache search
> foo". This seemed like a simple thing to fix in a plugin, so I hacked
> one up[1] code at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/jantill/yum/list-search.py
>
>  Usage: "yum search --list foo"
>
> ...of course Seth also had the skeleton of one lying around, code at:
>
> http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/useful-scripts/simple-search.py
>
>  Usage: simple-search.py foo
>
> ...on the one hand I can see the desire to not clutter the yum command
> with 999 different options from plugins, and on the other it seems like
> most people would be much more likely to find "yum search --list" (if
> the plugin was installed).

yum search --list just feels 'bleah'. I hate the long slow slide into
rpm's manpage sort of muck. If the above is a better output for search
then make it the default. If it's not then why have it at all?

Additionally, how does a list of the package nevra+repo info help the
user who is searching for 'games'. If we're going to return information
when they're searching it seems like returning name.arch+summary would
help them more. At least that way when they search for 'games' and it
matches the url of the pkg, but not the summary or description they at
least know what the pkg does.

with that plugin we just get:
OpenSceneGraph.i386             2.0-5.fc8              development

as a response to:
yum search --list games

If we want to 'fix' search then I'd recommend something like this:

yum search games:

OpenSceneGraph.i386 :    High performance real-time graphics toolkit
(with -v or -d3) you get:
Matched From:
The OpenSceneGraph is an OpenSource, cross platform graphics toolkit for
the development of high performance graphics applications such as flight
simulators, games, virtual reality and scientific visualization.
Based around the concept of a SceneGraph, it provides an object oriented
framework on top of OpenGL freeing the developer from implementing and
optimizing low level graphics calls, and provides many additional
utilities for rapid development of graphics applications.

then it's just changing the output for a search, right?