[Yum-devel] yum and extended auth headers

Alan Milligan alan at balclutha.org
Thu Sep 13 12:12:04 UTC 2007

It would appear that nobody's consciously thought about how extended
auth header info is supposed to get into package sack objects from repo
configs.

I now have this huge problem (in 2.5.1 even) where I specify a repo:

[local]
name=local
baseurl=http://username:password@localhost:9080/plone/RPMBuilder/RPMS

And the auth header info is unceremonously abandoned by the time it
comes to do the repoSack::getPackage.  Without the url being constructed
as such, urlgrabber doesn't actually have the auth headers to respond to
the 401.

It's not obvious to me as to how this should be fixed - auth headers
probably aren't something you want in the package sack.  But equally, it
seems absurd to write a predownload callback to splice these into the
basepath's.

The http_headers dict also doesn't have a very exposed API (and only
seem to be used for a cache pragma anyway), and while you could shove
them (manually encoded) in there, it's not exactly transparent
delegation to urlgrabber.

Whats to be done?

Alan