[Yum-devel] repo priorities

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Wed Sep 5 06:27:34 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> Hi folks,
>  I'm trying to sort the plugins we have which do something like
> providing package or repo priorities:
>
> priorities - used like a super-epoch - any package in a repo with the
> better priority is kept, all others are excluded.

Very power full, but can be very confusing for the users, this is fine
to have in a plugin like today, but we don't want
into base.
exclude mayhem.
> protectbase - any of the packages in a repo marked as base are kept,
> anything in add-on repo that updates/overrides base is excluded

Good to protect packages from standard repo from being overwritten by 3
party repos.
but don't solve repo mixing with repository contain the same
applications but packaged in a different way.
(freshrpms vs livna vs atrpms)
exclude mayhem.
> simple-local-repo-priority - allows you to setup a local repo that has
> SOME of the pkgs from another repo and know that the ones in the local
> (or better priority repo) will be used. This only works for nevra-exact
> pkgs from one to the other. This is useful for anaconda, mock, mash, etc
> to let it know to use a closer copy of some of the files rather than a
> remote one.

This is more like a repo cost to me, if more packages exist with the
same nevra the take the cheapest one.
Very nice and useful, but it have a different purpose that the other ones.
> So, the question is - if we brought a priority plugin into the core
> functionality - which of the above would make sense to implement? I'm
> listening to opinions though I already have some strong ones of my own.
>

> -sv

What about this one.
repo-group packages is only updated by packages from the same repo group.
[base]
group=base

[updates]
group=base

[foo]
group=foo

[bar]
group=bar

packages installed from base & updates is only updated by packages from
base & update.
packakges installed from foo is only updated from foo.
packages installed from bar is only updated from bar.

I know we can't do that before we have some way of storing the source of
the installed packages.
This would solve most repo mixing screw ups.

Tim