[Yum-devel] log installroot in file log

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Thu Oct 18 14:33:06 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 16:06 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

Look fine to me, but this should not be the default, but something that
can be enabled.
>>>  Who asked for this, and did they give a problem they are trying to
>>> solve by it?
>>>  I think a better solution is to use a different log file when using a
>>> custom installroot, so maybe they'd be happy with a --logfile cmd line
>>> option?
>>>
>> It wasn't such a huge problem in the past when we just did file logging,
>> but now that we also log to syslog, we either need to make the logging
>> more explicit or give a good way to disable the syslogging.
>>

> this sounds like we then just need a nicer way of fixing the logging.
>
> in general the logging needs:
> 1. simplified api for file/stdout/stderr/syslog output
> 2. simplified configuration - afaict no one cares at all about
> outputting more levels by default.
>
> I think the logging has been over-thought since yum 0.8. We need
> something much more simple and we're slowly converging there, I think.
>
> I don't mind making a separate call to output to stderr vs stdout vs
> filelog and turning up the verbosity as an option to the log, but I do
> mind not being able to tell what:
>
> self.verbose_logger.log(logginglevels.INFO_2, 'Loading "%s" plugin',
> modname)
>
> will output vs:
>  self.verbose_logger.log(logginglevels.DEBUG_1, 'foo')
>
> vs:
>
> self.verbose_logger.log(logginglevels.DEBUG_4, 'bar')
>
> at the same time a lot of our log outputs for debug logs are a mess.
> We're outputting in places where we used to have lots of problems but
> are now fairly stabilized code bases. - updates.py, for example.
> ratcheting back the debug output there would probably help us all
> around.

I agree, the logging need to simplified and cleanup

self.verbose_logger.log(logginglevels.DEBUG_1, 'foo') don't looks good to me and it hate to type it :)

do we need all that levels, it will be much more simpler if we could use

self.verbose_logger.info('This is the normal output text')
self.verbose_logger.debug('This is extra verbosity information')
self.verbose_logger.error('This is an Error')
self.verbose_logger.warning('This is an warning')

and maybe
s/self.verbose_logger/self.log/

or

s/self.verbose_logger/self.console/

There could also be some wrapper to write to more loggers at the same time.

def log_all(self,msg):
    self.console.info(msg) # Write to console logger
    self.syslog.info(msg)  # Write to syslog
    self.filelog.info(msg) # Write to filelog

> Finally, fitting in gettext support is critical for the next dev cycle.

We can't keep it out forever :)

Tim