[Yum-devel] yum info --changelog gives error

Charlie Brady charlieb-yum-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Thu May 17 17:55:47 UTC 2007

On Thu, 17 May 2007, seth vidal wrote:

>>> you're running as non-root (caching mode, implicitly)

Actually, it's "from-cache mode", implicitly, IIUC. It doesn't cache
anything, but expects a full cache. As I noted a few times recently,
forcing from-cache mode when non-root creates other problems, e.g. in my
case, when running yumdownloader with an installroot.

>>> and you don't have
>>> a fully updated cache with the changelog information in it. So it is
>>> complaining that it can't get the file it needs to return the data
>>> you've requested - the changelog for glibc.
>>
>> OK, that answers #1.  What should I do to fix this?
>
> run the command as root, it'll automatically grab the other.xml.gz that
> it needs.

Would it be reasonable to have yum try to fill the cache in this
circumstance, rather than expect it to be full already? If the running
user cannot write to the cache, then that can be detected and reported.
If user needs to have a writable cache, he/she can do so via an
alternative configuration.