[Yum-devel] post 3.2.0 things to think about

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri May 4 16:45:28 UTC 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007 23:12:28 Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> > In some circles, perhaps. Mercurial is also widely used, very easy to
> > use and does a very good job.
>
> I also like Mercurial too, it is very easy to use.

However, yum makes heavy use of branches.  In my experiences, branching with
Mercurial is not exactly a fun prospect.  Mercurial works much better if
instead of creating a branch, you just create a new repo.  That's fine, but
can spiral a bit out of control.  With in repo branching, you get a situation
I like to call 'branch bingo'.  Mercurial has the concept of 'tip', that is
the very last changeset committed to the repo.  This 'tip' can live on any of
the in repo branches.  When cloning a repo without any special arguments,
your working copy is 'tip'.  Think about that for a second.  Lets say Seth
fixes some bug for an older version of yum, used in say RHEL5 (thinking about
a year or so in the future).  Then somebody clones the yum repo to see what
things are all about.  They're now staring at the code that was used in
RHEL5, not the new code that is 1~2 years worth of improvements and changes.
I find this 'branch bingo' to be somewhat confusing and a roadblock to doing
any inrepo branches for any thing I manage in Mercurial.

This is just a warning, I have no vested interest in what SCM yum uses.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora