[Yum-devel] post 3.2.0 things to think about

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Fri May 4 07:11:47 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:55:03AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 08:33 +0200, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> > could show something like this
> >
> > foo-1.0-1.fc7.i386                                 Vendor X
> > bar-1.0-2.fc7.noarch                             Vendor Y
>
> is there a sensible situation when a single repo will have more than one
> vendor contributing the same package name/arch?
>
> or are you meaning only for installed pkgs?

Certainly useful for installed packages. I think part of the problem
they mentioned was that RPM doesnt keep track of originating repo
anywhere.

> If it is for installed pkgs we'd almost be better off recording the repo
> a package was installed FROM elsewhere.

If yum were to keep track of this, it would probably go a ways towards
solving their gripe.

At this point, it would probably be nice to ask the repotag instigators
from the epel list if this solves part of their problem. Not sure of all
of the names, but Axel Thimm comes to mind. I think one of the other
alternative-yum-repo maintainers also was asking.
--
Michael