[Yum-devel] post 3.2.0 things to think about

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Thu May 3 21:38:59 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> as we talked about on jabber, we kinda need a transaction database that
> includes context information about WHY something occurred to a package.
>
> Ideally we could use it to track all the change to any system using yum.
> So we could know that on march 21 foobar was removed by user request and
> foobar-lib was removed b/c of a dep on foobar.
>
> It's info that the rpmdb doesn't have and might not have much use for
> but we probably should.
>
> It's another good case for per-package pre-and-post-transaction plugin
> hooks. Then we could do journalled transactions and also use it as a
> nice log for sysadmins for what's happened AND WHY it happened on a
> system.

I don't know if this would actually help e-remove, but the log would be
cool, and if we could get journaled transactions working well enough
that would be very cool. Imagine if that bug that causes X to crash
would have been remedied during the subsequent restart.

Also, the log could have named save points, then it could replace my
little yq program (http://git.dangerouslyinc.com/yq </plug>).

-James