[Yum-devel] post 3.2.0 things to think about

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu May 3 02:07:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:37 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> 1. supporting gpg/x509 signatures detached from repomd.xml on each repo
> - so we can check the content for validity

Sounds like a good thing to have

> 2. yum-util system-sync - to make two systems more or less identical
> pkg-wise to each other (maybe also spit out a %packages section to a
> ks.cfg, too)

Not entirely sure how useful this really is since configuration is also
a huge part of systems being identical, but meh.

> 3. taking the 'tolerant' config option in yum and using it to implement
> what the --skip-broken plugin does (more or less) but internal to yum

Lots of people seem to want this.  I'm not sure I'm sold on it since I'd
really rather stop the problems before they get to users.  But at the
same time, we can't really do that for all combinations of repos I
guess.  The tricky thing will be doing this in a way that can work
nicely with pirut, yumex, etc

> 4. in general look at the plugins and utils and see what features would
> be better off in the base code or vice-versa. Is there core code that
> should really go live in a plugin

vice-versa is a little tricky to do if people have come to depend on it,
at least if we're not going to ship it in the main yum package.  I'm
also not sure what the real win is if we're still going to be
maintaining it at the same level.

plugins -> core is a sensible approach for some things probably

> 5. yum-gate - take the code that rnorwood posted and maybe work on
> making it more releasable for folks to use as an authenticated yum repo.
> Alternatively, look at one of the other system-config-mgmt tools to work
> for that.

Yeah, it'd be nice to get something good here.  I think that there are
likely a lot of people out there who'd jump on it if we put out an easy
way of doing it

> 6. YumBase.install() has a pattern=pkgglob kwarg it takes, remove() and
> update() don't. I want to fix that. If for no other reason than to make
> the yum cli code simpler.

That's just silliness ;-)

Jeremy