[Yum-devel] post 3.2.0 things to think about

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed May 2 17:37:39 UTC 2007

Some other brainstorms as I've been sitting around and talking to folks
on jabber and irc. Some of these are things to add into yum, others are
just things to implement as yum-utils - but feedback on the stupidity of
some of these items is welcome, in no particular order:

1. supporting gpg/x509 signatures detached from repomd.xml on each repo
- so we can check the content for validity

2. yum-util system-sync - to make two systems more or less identical
pkg-wise to each other (maybe also spit out a %packages section to a
ks.cfg, too)

3. taking the 'tolerant' config option in yum and using it to implement
what the --skip-broken plugin does (more or less) but internal to yum

4. in general look at the plugins and utils and see what features would
be better off in the base code or vice-versa. Is there core code that
should really go live in a plugin

5. yum-gate - take the code that rnorwood posted and maybe work on
making it more releasable for folks to use as an authenticated yum repo.
Alternatively, look at one of the other system-config-mgmt tools to work
for that.

6. YumBase.install() has a pattern=pkgglob kwarg it takes, remove() and
update() don't. I want to fix that. If for no other reason than to make
the yum cli code simpler.

Any of those things seem cool or silly?