[Yum-devel] [RFC] hardware specific repo + disable repo if 404

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Wed Mar 28 15:09:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 01:44:35AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 17:01 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > 1) Does anybody have any objections to doing it this way? Is this the
> > best way to do this?
> >
> > 2) How do I supress the urlgrabber error output? I still get the
> > following error output even though everything appears to complete
> > successfully:

Thanks for the feedback, Seth. I really appreciate it.

Did you have any feedback for the first part, ie. setting yumvars?

> How would the use distinguish  b/t this repo doesn't exist and the site
> is down? How would yum? Why is having it return a 404 and not just an
> empty repo better?

Excellent points to which I dont have any really good answers. I couldnt
think of any bad consequences to having the user run without the
hw-specific repo if there were, eg. a spurious 404 error.

> the url above could easily be a cgi with a redirect in it. If your

At the point where I coded this, I didnt believe that I had the
permissions to run CGI on our system. Turns out I was wrong. I've
whipped up a quick shell script that redirects to an empty repo for
unknown system ids. My only problem now is that I am running an actual
CGI, so this is going to scale like crap. My server-side is a 2x1Ghz
PIII system - a 5 year old Dell PowerEdge 2450. It is going to run out
of steam quickly running cgi's. (and no, I dont have admin access to the
box.)

> systemid has a repo, it sends you there, if not it sends you to an empty
> repo.

I suppose another concern would be people who want to mirror my repo but
cant run cgi scripts.

--
Michael