[Yum-devel] tsInfoDelta curiosity

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Mar 23 07:37:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 03:13 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hey,
>   I was looking at the tsInfoDelta code that James first added and then
> at the patch that Florian sent and something worries me. Take the
> following case from:
>

> quux requires bar
>
> quux is in a repository
> bar is installed on the system
>
> I run the following yum shell commands:
>
> install quux
> remove bar
> ts solve
>

> 3.1.X will remove bar and install quux leaving quux with a broken dep. -
> something that I'll work on fixing shortly.
>
> 3.0.X will bitch at you and complain that the dep on bar is
> unresolveable.
>
> I'm curious how we will ever be able to handle the above situation
> without rechecking all pkgs in the transaction on every change to the
> transaction set.
>
> Is there something I'm missing?

okay, we might be able to scoot around this problem but I'll work on the
following changes:

1. make sure that every separate call to resolveDeps resets the
tsInfoDeltas
   - so that if someone does: install foo; ts solve; remove bar; they
don't end up not rechecking foo in light of bar being removed
2. we probably need to enhance _checkRemove to make sure it does:
   a. account for any installed pkg requiring anything provided by the
pkg being removed
   b. account for any package_to_be_installed/updated requiring anything
provided by the pkg being removed
    - I think it's just an ordering problem right now but I might end up
with a separate semi-private method like _provideToPkg() but kinda the
opposite (_requiredDep())

does that make sense to everyone?