[Yum-devel] Plugin interface to add yumvars?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon Mar 19 21:50:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 05:44:42PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 09:48 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > I would like to write a plugin to be able to add vars to the 'yumvars' hash. I
> > would like to have a yum repo like this:
> >
> >     [dell-machinespecific]
> >     baseurl=http://linux.dell.com/repo/machine_specific/system-$dellsystemid
> >
> > But the problem I see is that there is no place where the plugins get called
> > between where yumvars is set (readMainConfig()) and where it is used
> > (getReposFromConfig()):
> >
> >     --> yum/__init__.py  doConfigSetup():
> >     ======================================
> >     self.conf = config.readMainConfig(startupconf)
> >     self.yumvar = self.conf.yumvar
> >     self.getReposFromConfig()
> >
> > The only way I can see to do this is really ugly. Any suggestions?
>
> Hmm, What you want to do might not be possible right now. But your
> reason for wanting to do it is interesting. It might make for a good
> reason to add the ability to do this. Can you use the
> environment-variable defined values in the interim? YUMVAR0-9, I mean.

Unless I grossly mistake the usage of these vars, no, I dont believe so. The
problem is reliability. The user has to manually set these prior to running
yum, and I dont think I can really rely on this. Plus it would have to be set
for things like pup, etc.

What I was thinking of was using an init_hook to go and grub through the
configuration and manually replace the strings. It duplicates a lot of code,
but looks do-able until an official hook exists. What do you think?

--
Michael