[Yum-devel] new depsolver: just a data point

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Sun Mar 4 22:04:14 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 16:48 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> doesn't really matter, it's a long ass time and I bet 90% of the time
> was spent in the depsolver which we already know is
> slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

So let's talk about what can be done to optimize the depsolver. Here's
what I was thinking:

 1. have _mytsCheck() start handing back a depcheck object. It contains
lists of requires and conflicts objects. The require/conflict objects
would contain:
     - package object requiring or conflicting
        - if requiring:
           - what the requirement is
        - if conflicting:
           - what the package object it is that conflicts w/it

 2. this lets us change the other part of the depsolver in yum so it:
     a. doesn't need to do all the 'where is this requiring nvr from'
bullshit.
     b. we can jump right to the chase and look to see if the conflicts
are complete blockers of operation and short circuit a lot of
unnecessary looping
     c. keeps us from having to do so many architecture guesses that we
have to do right now

that's what I was thinking of right now. Are there other things I've
missed? Anyone else have any plans for speeding this along?

Thanks,