[Yum-devel] delta metadata index file & dbversion change

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 20:28:05 UTC 2007

I figure the next steps on the delta metadata code will be to create the
index file to the deltas, something along the lines of:

<deltas>
  <delta id="1" file="URL" />
  <delta id="2" file="URL" />
</deltas>

So it seems to me that there needs to be a way to determine the revision
of a given piece of metadata, both in xml and in the sqlite file. That
way, the client can decide if it needs to update its cache or not. On
the xml side, it should be sufficient to have this revision id only in
repomd.xml.

On the db side, I think that we'll need to up the dbversion and
include a new value in the db indicating the revision. If so, how about
introducing a minor number into dbversion, to indicate changes that are
required for newer clients, but do not affect old ones (I always for get
if this is backwards or forwards compatible)?

-James