hg and branches (Re: [Yum-devel] [Patch] Resolver Performance and Correctness)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 18:35:49 UTC 2007

On Thursday 07 June 2007 13:37:04 Charlie Brady wrote:
> AIUI, hg doesn't really need to elegantly deal with lots of branching. You
> fork a clone of the repo, then merge patch sets from one to the other as
> you wish.

When you have a central system for managing the source, creating new repos is
not as easy as one thinks.  If you're doing your own development and not
really sharing it that much then it is easy to clone your own other repos and
do "branches" that way.  But for more central development of code, where you
want to have multiple streams of code active at one time, you really do want
in repo branching, and HG just doesn't lend itself to that.  I tried to get
them to see this light and I was semi-successful.  They understand that they
need to change the in-repo branching behavior, but they aren't seeing it as a
high priority.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora