[Yum-devel] [Patch] Resolver Performance and Correctness

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Jun 6 07:51:27 UTC 2007

Florian Festi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I put together my patches in my own working dir (as proposed by James
> Bowes ;)= ) to see if they have the expected performance gain and if
> they fit together. It turned out that the performance gain is within the
> expected range and that it is possible to achieve that with increasing
> the code base by only 20 lines. My test cases report the following timings:
>
> real time in seconds
> --------------------------------
> Warmup: Full install    | 137.92
> Resolve normal install  |  27.28
> Resolve full install    | 170.79
> Resolve install [a-k]*  | 191.09
> Resolve empty update    |   7.92
> Resolve update libgnome |  11.96
> Resolve big update      |  19.13
> Resolve erase glibc     |  33.67
> Warmup: Dist upgrade    |  18.65
> Resolve dist upgrade    |  20.30

Ops... these results (especially the updates) can only be reached with an
index on the requires names. Linear search on disk is even slower than
linear search in memory...

Attached patch to yum-metadata-parser adds them. One patch adds name indices
to all Prco the other just to provides and requires.

Florian