[Yum-devel] What to do about yum-updatesd?

James Antill jantill at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 20:53:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 13:29 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > > Could this part be oddjobd?
> > Actually talked with Nalin about it yesterday on the way home, but
> > oddjob doesn't give us periodic activation, having the helper be a
> > singleton, the caching that we're doing, and a few other things
>
> I think periodic activation is best handled by cron, insomuch as that's what
> it's there for. Some very tiny script called from cron can send the "go now"
> signal. I'd really like to avoid the proliferation of system-helper daemons,
> particularly when we've got parts that already would be able to do most of
> the work. The Unix Way and all that.
>
> And I'm confidant that the other stuff could be solved with this approach
> too. :)

 So in the Fedora BZs one person created a package called something like
yum-cron … which is basically what you want, so you aren't alone
(probably esp. on the server).
 I think it'd be good if something that worked from cron became an
alternate "official" solution as well, using the same configuration
files etc. as the yum-updatesd solution (Ie. yum-updatesd --one-shot
that parses the yum-updatesd config. and spawn a single instance of the
helper and exits).
 Integrating it into the general yum-updatesd code also means it won't
suffer some of the problems that just running yum from cron has (with
regard to error checking -- I'm presuming we get to fix yum-updatesd to
be basically "bug free" now it isn't threaded :).

 However I think we'll still want yum-updatesd for a bunch of features:

1. puplet

2. yum-refresh-updatesd

3. (future feature) -- machines co-operating via. avahi

4. (future feature) -- install security-updates/updates via. puplet as a
normal user (see the current thread on fedora-devel).

…and that's off the top of my head.

--
James Antill <jantill at redhat.com>