[Yum-devel] pygpgme and yum

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Jul 5 17:53:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007, Michael E Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 09:26:51AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 03:54 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
>>> /var/cache doesnt seem like a good place to be putting keyrings. I
>>> thought that the intent behind /var/cache/ was that you could delete it
>>> and things would still work?
>>
>> See james'  answer - he had it spot on.
>>

>>> Next question: are you implementing this in a way that is compatible
>>> with the way that SUSE signs repos? I just implemented signed repos on
>>> my repos and would hate to have to redo things just because yum does it
>>> differently.
>>>

>>> SUSE expects repomd.xml.asc and repomd.xml.key. If the signature isnt
>>> already in the db, it will download repomd.xml.key and offer to import
>>> that for you.
>>

>> the repomd.xml.asc we can do, yes.
>>
>> the repomd.xml.key is redundant when we already have the gpgkey option
>> in yum.conf.
>
> Possibly stupid question: is there ever a time or use case for when you
> would want the repository signed by one key, but would not necessarily
> want to let RPMs be signed by that same key? Or maybe the reverse, say
> you have RPMs in your repo signed by a key, but you dont want to
> automatically trust a repo signed by that key?
>
> I'm thinking that we may want to separate the trust model for
> repositories out from the individual RPMs. I think that trusting
> individual RPMs is different from trusting repositories. For example, I
> believe that apt has separate key lists for repos and individual
> archives.

Yup, separating the repository keys from RPM keys can be useful in some
cases. For example people composing a repository (rel engineering or
similar) could be an entirely different organization than the group
creating the actual packages. The uses might not be that common, but
allowing for is useful.

 	- Panu -