[Yum-devel] how long to hold on to a mirrorlist

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon Jul 2 18:28:37 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:28:22PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 11:34 -0500, Michael E Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:56:38AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >  I was working on some changes to download and save the mirrorlists to a
> > > file in each repo dir so we can draw from there instead of always having
> > > to hit the network, like with -C or with a user-call. Anwyay - I was
> > > wondering what people thought we should use as enough time to avoid
> > > hitting the mirror? Is the metadata_expire time a reasonable default to
> > > use for the mirrorlist, too or should we define another config option
> > > for mirrorlist expiration?
> > >
> > > welcome to hear preferences.
> >
> > I can see two approaches:
> >
> >   1) Use the http status codes to handle cache control. ie. I can add an
> >   expires: header to my output, and you could honor that. If no expiry
> >   header is given, default to a reasonable value (1 week?)
>
> not all mirrors are http nor all mirrorlists.

The point is still valid.
  -- If mirrolist was http:// url, then look for expires: http response
  code and use that. How about:

/etc/yum.repos.d/site.repo:
[repo-name]
mirrorlist_cache_enable        = bool
mirrorlist_cache_expire_method = [ http | manual ]
    default to manual for ftp:// and file:// URLs and http for http:// URLs
mirrorlist_cache_expire        = timespec (for manual only)
    default to a reasonable value (1 week)

--
Michael