[Yum-devel] how long to hold on to a mirrorlist

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Mon Jul 2 16:34:42 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 02, 2007 at 01:56:38AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi folks,
>  I was working on some changes to download and save the mirrorlists to a
> file in each repo dir so we can draw from there instead of always having
> to hit the network, like with -C or with a user-call. Anwyay - I was
> wondering what people thought we should use as enough time to avoid
> hitting the mirror? Is the metadata_expire time a reasonable default to
> use for the mirrorlist, too or should we define another config option
> for mirrorlist expiration?
>
> welcome to hear preferences.

I can see two approaches:

  1) Use the http status codes to handle cache control. ie. I can add an
  expires: header to my output, and you could honor that. If no expiry
  header is given, default to a reasonable value (1 week?)

  2) change mirrorlist format to include an expiry parameter
  (mirrorlist.xml?)

--
Michael