[Yum-devel] how long to hold on to a mirrorlist

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 15:09:20 UTC 2007

On Monday 02 July 2007 01:56:38 seth vidal wrote:
>  I was working on some changes to download and save the mirrorlists to a
> file in each repo dir so we can draw from there instead of always having
> to hit the network, like with -C or with a user-call. Anwyay - I was
> wondering what people thought we should use as enough time to avoid
> hitting the mirror? Is the metadata_expire time a reasonable default to
> use for the mirrorlist, too or should we define another config option
> for mirrorlist expiration?
>
> welcome to hear preferences.

I like things simple.  Maybe I don't fully understand how the metadata caching
works and such, but I thought that even if you get a new list of mirrors, if
the cache hasn't expired yet nothing new would be pulled from them.  So it
would obviously (to me) not be a good idea to have your cached mirrors expire
before your metadata does.

I also think that whatever time is "reasonable" to check back in for new
metadata is also reasonable to check back in for a newer updated mirror list.
Since updates can be pushed at any time, and mirrors all have different sync
times, the list of up to date mirrors fed to you by mirror manager could
actually change often.

So for simplistic sakes, I'd say tie it into cached metadata timeout and
perhaps make that timeout a bit more generically named/used (or just convince
people that up to date mirror lists /are/ metadata...).

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora