[Yum-devel] Dep solving question

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Jan 17 20:33:38 UTC 2007

Hi,
There is actually several questions in your e-mail, even though you
really only end up with 1.  But here are some of the hidden questions,
leading up to the answer to the one question.

Is yum sometimes slow?
Yes, it can be.  This is being worked on.  The developers are looking at
both the grand scheme, as well as breaking things down and looking at
function by function.  Trust me, they really are concerned and are
working on this.  There are so many details I can't even begin to start,
so I guess I won't.

Does yum always take over half an hour with a good network connection?
No, not usually.
If you are on fedora core 6 and do a "yum update" I'd be very surprised
if it took more than 5 minutes.  And after you've done it once, it is
usually on the order of 30 seconds.
You stated that your Ubuntu only took 5 seconds to get the output of the
packages to install.  That is probably because you aren't running on a
fresh batch of data from the servers.  apt tends to cache their data
much longer.  Last time I used apt, I had to tell it specifically to go
look at the repositories.

Why is yum taking so long to update from fc6 to rawhide?
That is probably because there are some major dependencies going on.
rawhide may or may not even be yum'able from fc6.
So, to really answer your question, I'll let you answer the question.
Instead of doing a
   yum update
do a
   yum -d6 update
And then you can see what dependencies it's working on.

Hope this helped somewhat.
Troy