[Yum-devel] yum 3.0.2

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Sat Jan 6 07:34:32 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 17:16 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 23:09 +0100, Terje Rosten wrote:
>>
>>> * seth vidal

>>> Yes, it's better, however 3.0.2 plus patch is still much slower than
>>> 3.0.1 on 'yum install xpdf' with warm cache.
>>>
>> B/c 3.0.2 is performing a whole other type of check that 3.0.1 isn't.
>> Instead of just looking at all the obsoletes whole sale. It taking the
>> list of obsoletes, removing from them any package which is not of the
>> newest set, then performing the updates setup check.
>>
>> I'll see what I can do to trim it out a little further.
>>

>>> The this command:
>>>
>>> $ time python yummain.py -y install xpdf
>>>
>>> I get:
>>>
>>> 3.0.1: 9 sec
>>> 3.0.2 + plus patch: 15 sec

>>> called over 8500 times.
>>>
>> right - that'd be once per package in the obsdict. I think I know how to
>> streamline that.
>>

>> I'll let you know what I come up with.
>>

> okay - I just checked in another attempt.
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum-cvs-commits/2007-January/001257.html
>
> can you tell me what you get from that with your profiler. The slow down
> shouldn't be from so many calls to returnNewestByName()
>
> -sv

Looks much better, now doUpdateSetup takes 7s, against 2s in yum 3.0.1,
but better much better than 1m 2s in 3.0.2.

08:18:54 : Building Package Lists : Start
08:18:54 : Building Package Lists : doRpmDBSetup
08:18:54 : Building Package Lists : doTsSetup
08:18:54 : Building Package Lists : doUpdateSetup
08:19:01 : Building Package Lists : Updates
08:19:02 : Building Package Lists : 31 Updates found
08:19:02 : Building Package Lists completed

I had had to fix some indentation error i arch.py and a Trackback in
Errors.py to get the current 3_0_X branch to work.
I will check CVS HEAD later.

Tim