[Yum-devel] yum 3.0.2

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Jan 4 22:16:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 23:09 +0100, Terje Rosten wrote:
> * seth vidal
> |

> | I think I got it.
> | Terje, Tim, please take a look at the patch here:
> | https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum-cvs-commits/2007-January/001255.html
> |
> | I did timing tests and it reduces the returnObsoletes call on my system
> | from 30s to 3s
>
> Yes, it's better, however 3.0.2 plus patch is still much slower than
> 3.0.1 on 'yum install xpdf' with warm cache.

B/c 3.0.2 is performing a whole other type of check that 3.0.1 isn't.
Instead of just looking at all the obsoletes whole sale. It taking the
list of obsoletes, removing from them any package which is not of the
newest set, then performing the updates setup check.

I'll see what I can do to trim it out a little further.

> The this command:
>
> $ time python yummain.py -y install xpdf
>
> I get:
>
> 3.0.1: 9 sec
> 3.0.2 + plus patch: 15 sec
>
> >From the profiling data I see lots of call to returnNewestByName, it's
> called over 8500 times.
right - that'd be once per package in the obsdict. I think I know how to
streamline that.

I'll let you know what I come up with.