[Yum-devel] Re: [driver-updates] [RFC] Automatic driver package resolution

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Fri Feb 23 15:41:14 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 09:38:08AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> Michael E Brown wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:46:17AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> >>Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:
> >
> >Do you agree with the approach and proof of concept posted? If so, we can
> >work on adding this to FC7 as enabling infrastructure and then write the
> >GUI on top of that.
>
> Exactly. Let's try to get this into F7 soon[0] and then I'll work on the
> GUI tools that tie into udev/HAL and handle discovery/configuration. I
> can always move this all out into my utility if that's best - I'd
> already planned on doing exactly what you proposed, because it's more or
> less what's in use by SuSE and makes sense as a standard implementation.
> But we can get this in now and tweak it for F8/RHEL6...

We also want to get this in for RHEL5.1, if possible. (And tweaked for RHEL6, of course).

Ok. Where/how/who? Who are the right people to talk to in order to get the find-provides.modalias added to the distro? Also, there are:
   /usr/lib/rpm/find-provides
   /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/find-provides

Which is the "correct" one to add this to?

Next, where did you want to add a GUI for this? What did you envision it looking like? Can I help out on this one?

> [0] I'm getting worse by the day here, not better. It might be mono or
> another nice virus...so bear with me. I'm taking up to 10 espressos a
> day at the moment to keep going.

Sorry to hear about that. I had mono a few years ago and it was not pleasant. The blood test for Mono takes about 10 minutes to do.
--
Michael