[Yum-devel] Re: [driver-updates] [RFC] Automatic driver package resolution

Paul MacKay pmackay at novell.com
Fri Feb 23 15:10:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 07:36 -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 12:46:17AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> > Michael_E_Brown at Dell.com wrote:
> >
> > >	Proposal (short-term):  Add the attached find-provides.modinfo
> > >script to the SOURCES of RPM DKMS or KMP packages and override the
> > >builtin RPM %{__find_provides} script
> >
> > Obviously, we still need to handle providing the regular dependencies,
> > such as the additional symbols a module is providing, used by others.
>
> Yes, I see that. This shouldnt be too hard to fix. Save the original %{__find_provides} under a different variable name, then pass in this script to your replacement %{__find_provides} to have your replacement also run the original. I'll send something like this shortly.
>
> Also, this issue goes away if this find-provides.modalias script is simply added to the current "rpm-build" rpm. Overriding the builtin macro is simply a short-term workaround.
>

> > >	I am looking for feedback. I believe that this method is
> > >conceptually very simple, and yet it should be robust enough to handle
> > >the situations I can envision. I would like to produce something that
> > >will work for Fedora, Red Hat Enterprise, and SUSE, at the least. I
> > >believe that this concept can also be extended to work with the
> > >Debian-based distributions.
> >
> > I am looking to do something at a higher level also and will soon begin
> > work on a tool to help discover new sources of RPMs/yum repos. So we can
> > work together in that respect - but I'm looking to also add a GUI layer
> > that will allow the user to interact upon discovery of new hardware.
>
> I see this as basic infrastructure that can be used by anything. If you have suggestions for where you would like to see this implemented in the GUI, I would be happy to help implement it. In fact, since most of the GUI stuff for admin is python, you could probably easily cut-n-paste this code in.
>
> Do you agree with the approach and proof of concept posted? If so, we can work on adding this to FC7 as enabling infrastructure and then write the GUI on top of that.

We have a slightly different approach at Novell/SUSE. Putting the
modalias stuff as provides seems to be the wrong place. We place such
information in Supplements portion of the RPM preamble and with changes
to createrepo such information is available via YUM to updater software.
Also, we use hwinfo for hardware detection which is passed up to perform
package to hardware matching.

Paul MacKay
Novell, Inc.