[Yum-devel] problemo with new depsolver

Terje Rosten terje.rosten at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 19 20:02:05 UTC 2007

* James Bowes

| > PatchSet 1902
| > Date: 2007/02/18 15:30:57
| > Author: jbowes
|
| Odd, I don't know how that could cause it. That commit was very
| specific.

This was the last commit I had in my local sources, not that this
commit caused the strange decisions from depsolver.

| > I just did a cvs update and now the problem is gone. yum also ignores
| > problems with vlc and ekiga and updates all other packages. That is
| > expected behavior with the new depsolver I guess?
|
| Yes. I expect the depsolver to be broken right now. :)

Well, in my view this is a design decision:

 o get new updates installed and possibly break some packages, but
   keep them (yum cvs),

 o refuse to do a rpm transaction that upgrade packages which might
   break another packages, (a sort of workaround is the skip-broken plugin)
   (old yum) or

 o always keep the rpm db conflict free and possibly remove packages
   to accomplish that (apt).

I prefer alt.  1) and later upgrade packages that are broken. I see
the current depsolver an improvement in this regard.

 - Terje