[Yum-devel] Unit Tests!@1~

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Fri Feb 16 15:20:03 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:

> James,
>  So this is one of the first examples of unittests that I've read that
> make sense to me. I've never been good at grokking how they're supposed
> to be implemented and this one is pretty straightforward, thanks. The
> code in rpmUtils.updates is another good candidate for these tests. We
> can easily tell if the results are correct and provide reasonable
> examples. A lot of the items in rpmUtils.miscutils and yum.misc can also
> probably be tested. I'm not sure about a lot of other pieces but
> anywhere is a good start.
>
> Thanks for starting this.

You flatter me Mr. Vidal. So anyways, I think I might devote a bit of
time to just filling in more tests, and stay away from the crackrock
broad stroke changes (logging, anyone?) because I ever so enjoy watching
those little dots whiz by.

By the way, I forgot to mention how to actually run the tests:
* 'make test' in your checkout dir
* python test/alltests.py in your checkout dir
* python test/$TESTSUITENAME.py in your checkout dir

Those last two can also be run from within test, or within yum, if you
don't feel like cd'ing.

Along the same lines, we could add makefile targets for, say, pyflakes,
pylint, and pychecker. The problem with those guys though is that they
can spit out huge amounts of output, give false positives, or warn you
about things you don't really care about. So while its something to keep
in mind, It's probably not worth the trouble.

-James