[Yum-devel] YumDepsolver Code

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:34:54 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 01:13 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 17:33 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > in _checkRemove() in the new code it seems like the provides of a
> > package being removed are only ever being checked by provname not by
> > prov_ver.
> >
> > So it seems like if we remove foo3 which provides foobin = 3.0
> >
> > and we have foo2 installed, which provides foobin = 2.0
> >
> > and a package requires foobin > 2.0
> >
> > Then we'll never see the requirement.
> >
> > I'm going to check this when I get home. It's not a hard fix - but I
> > wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this.
>
> yah, okay. I was right about this, it does leave an unresolved dep. I'll
> have  patch in a few minutes then I'll go through install and update and
> see if there are any other cases.

okay, I'm not going to have a quick fix for it. This goes fairly deep
into our inPrcoRange method of each package object. Essentially, since
it is not a full overlapping-ranges check it isn't giving the right
answers for every case of the depcheck.  It's right enough for some of
the ranges but not for some odd cases. I'm trying to map out all the
cases where the ranges overlap and it's making my head twist a bit. I
was actually just looking to see if rpm's dsCompare has been brought out
into the python module, that would save a lot of the same code, I think.