[Yum-devel] Re: [yum-cvs] yum/yum depsolve.py, 1.115, 1.116 packages.py, 1.90, 1.91

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Feb 15 07:14:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 09:02 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> >> I don't care which one is used, but I hope that we can start moving
> >> towards not sticking the header byte range stuff in primary, and never
> >> downloading just the headers.
> >
> > Not including the header byte ranges breaks the format, so we probably
> > have to leave it there[1] but that doesn't mean that yum has to care
> > about them or ever download them
>
> AFAIK yum is the only depsolver that ever used the header ranges for
> anything. At least smart and apt-rpm don't use them at all, never have.
>
> P.S. This should really be discussed on the metadata list, not here :)

We're not going to remove anything from the format for the sake of not
having to worry about any of the parsers breaking. If there is data not
being used it can just be ignored.

and until I have the energy to go through the process w/the metadata
list of changing the xml format. I think we should probably hold off.