[Yum-devel] Plugin idea: yum-service-restart

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 14 04:05:52 UTC 2007

Hello, all:

I've been thinking about this for the past few days -- how about a
plugin that would restart a service on certain package updates.

For example: I want to run "service httpd graceful" whenever there's
updates to any of the currently installed httpd*, php* or mod_*
packages. Sure, automatic service restarts are a dangerous concept,
but I think it's okay when you have, say, a cluster and a pre-tested
environment.

A configuration file could look something like this:

[httpd]
pkgmatch=php*, httpd*, mod_*
service=httpd
action=graceful

[vsftpd]
pkgmatch=vsftpd
service=vsftpd
action=restart

What do you think? I'm fairly certain this is about 20 lines of actual
code, but I'm not sure when I'd actually get around to play with that,
so I'm just throwing it out there in mild hopes that someone writes it
for me. :)

Cheers,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev