[Yum-devel] Current yum git desolver is a little slow

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 14:57:22 UTC 2007

Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Florian Festi wrote:
>> Tim Lauridsen wrote:
>>> I did some basic testing of the current yum git HEAD vs. yum 3.2.2.
>>
>> Yes, current git head is a bit slower than 3.2.2. There is a simple
>> reason for that: Linear searches on disk are even slower than linear
>> searches in memory.
>>
>> In other words: We are still missing some indexes in the sqlite
>> database to really gain speed from the changes. For performance runs
>> you can temporary remove patch
>> 3c2621ba8f8070f24ad3e979f6bd1699f6f6b394 or readd
>> 42283902f929ac131cda7b3497ae047b497e02bc.
>>
>> There are two possible permanent solutions:
>>
>> Readd the patch mentions above and extend it that all indexes are
>> created if they are not present yet. I posted timings for creating
>> these indexes some weeks ago (2. Aug "Sqlite DB Indexes").
>>
>> As alternative or in addition we could patch yum-metadata-parser to
>> just add the needed indexes.
>>
>> I can provide patches for both as soon as there is a decision with
>> way(s) we want to go.
>>

> I added this
> http://devel.linux.duke.edu/gitweb/?p=yum.git;a=commitdiff;h=42283902f929ac131cda7b3497ae047b497e02bc
>
> It speed up things a lot, but makes yum load the metadata every time,
> because the index creation changes the checksum i think.
> I we want to create the indexes locally, how do we know when to download
> the sqlite tarball from the repo ?

Hmpf, one shouldn't test with local mirrors only...

Ehm, don't we have the checksum of the XML file in the sqlite database? That
might be a better thing to check against. The fact that sqlite doesn't alter
the db files during reads is probably not something we should rely on.

I guess I have to take a deeper look into that topic and come up with a patch...

Thanks for testing and pointing that out!

Florian