[Yum-devel] gpg signature checking repomd.xml

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Aug 7 16:42:38 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 12:19 -0400, Bret McMillan wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>  So I'm trying to put the repomd.xml signing into yum and I'm stuck on a
>>> non-code issue - it's more about policy.
>>>
>>> So if you have a repo like:
>>>
>>> [foo]
>>> name=foo
>>> baseurl=...
>>> gpgcheck=1
>>>

>>> and the repomd.xml is NOT signed do we fail out?
>>>
>>> now, my initial response is yes, but it means all those repos with
>>> unsigned repomd.xml will suddenly fail even though the pkgs are signed.
>>>
>>> If we don't fail out then we have to add _something_ to tell the repo to
>>> also fail on invalid repomd.xml signature. I don't like this option
>>> overly much but not failing on a gpg signature missing seems like the
>>> wrong thing, too.
>>>
>>> suggestions welcome?
>> I guess for legacy-support reasons I'd expect this not to be owned by
>> the same gpgcheck option.  Personally, I'd add a new option, but default
>> it to on.
>>

> that means a yum 3.2.X update for f7 would need to be patched to default
> to off, I think.
>
> maybe this feature is best post-development branching rather than 3.2.X

May be the best solution is to stick to just "gpgcheck" and update
createrepo right now and tell everybody to fix their repo creation process.
We can then change the yum behavior for the major release 3.3.0 and ship it
only for a new release of Fedora (8 or 9) (and tell all other distributions
to do the same).

Florian