[Yum-devel] [RFC] dbversion 10

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Apr 11 05:19:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, James Bowes wrote:

> seth vidal wrote:
>>> If we keep epoch a string (as it's been in the past), then that's not a
>>> problem though, no?
>>
>> agreed.
>>

>>> The conversion of the other things seems pretty straight forward as I
>>> think that their usage is far more constrained
>>
>> also agreed.
>>
>> I just wanted to make sure I made mention of the epoch bit, again, if we
>> were thinking about it for pre-3.2
>
> So to summarize, are you two are thinking that we apply the patch as
> emailed, minus anything relating to epoch?
>
> Meaning that API breaks for anyone who treats build_time as a string
> (whoever that might be), but does not break for epoch related code. Also
> meaning that epoch is still stored as a string in the db.

It's not just about breaking yum API but also about any other repodata
sqlite users. The only one at the moment is probably apt-rpm and even
there it's not included in any released version yet so from that POV now's
a good time to make changes (even bigger ones if needed), later it gets a
bit uglier. Although I will need to figure out a nice way to support more
than one db format sooner or later by looks of things.

 	- Panu -