[Yum-devel] [RFC] dbversion 10

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Tue Apr 10 04:12:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 18:41 -0400, James Bowes wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> So here, for your amusement and subject to your general mockery, are two
> patches that modify the database in such a way as to break compatibility
> with existing code.
>
> In a nutshell, the code stores as many values as possible in the db as
> integers, rather than text. Also, it drops the checksum_value row,
> because this is the same as pkgId.
>
> We could also just drop the header_start and header_end columns, because
>  yum is awesomer now and doesn't need them.
>
> Some stats (just the development repo):

Leave header_start and header_end in place for the next cycle. When we
move to yum ver+2 then we can drop it.

I agree with what you've suggested here but we'll need to figure out how
to make yum-metadata-parser know how to do generate either db format so
that people making repos don't get caught out in the cold.

ie: I will still want to be able to make repos with the right db formats
available on my rhel5 boxes for my fc6, f7 and f8 boxes, of course.

Then yum will need to be modified to search through multiple
'primary_db' entries in the repomd.xml to figure out which one it can
use. In fact, that will need to be backported to 3.2.X once it comes out
to make sure we don't break those, too.

does that make sense to you?