[Yum-devel] improving yum-builddep

Bastiaan Bakker bastiaan.bakker at enovation.nl
Fri Sep 8 08:42:30 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd like to improve yum-builddep and need some feedback on which
approach would be prefered by its maintainers.
The itch I'd like to scratch is that yum-builddep lacks almost all of
yums command line options, even though most of them would be very useful
for yum-builddep too. I'm thinking of '-c', '--installroot' and '-y' in
particular. Also yum-builddeps '--repoid' option is rather crude
compared to yums '--enablerepo' and 'disablerepo'.
I assume there are no objections to having these options available to
yum-builddep.
I see three ways to implement this:
A) duplicate code from YumBaseCli.getOptionsConfig() and yummain.py into
yum-builddep.
B) split up getOptionsConfig() so that yum-builddep can call the
relevant portions.
C) merge yum-builddep into YumBaseCli so it will be just another command
in yum.

IMHO approach C makes most sense, after all yum-builddep is just like
'yum install', only with a slighty different method to determine which
packages to install.

Please let me know which approach would be favored by the project, so I
can start coding.

Cheers,

Bastiaan Bakker
E.Novation LifeLine Networks bv