[Yum-devel] 2.9.9 or 3.0?

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Wed Oct 4 21:46:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 10:22 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:15 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > hi all,
> >  so, who wants 2.9.9 and who wants 3.0 for the next release based on
> > cvs?
> >
> > do we think current cvs is ready to be 3.0 or should it be 2.9.9....?
>
> I'm pretty strongly in the 3.0 camp.  Let me elaborate -- what do we
> think that 3.0 really means?  To me, it means
> * We're happy with the current API and aren't going to go changing
> things and breaking third party users of the API
> * We think that things are sufficiently stable for large numbers of
> users
>
> And, to add an additional bit to the pile -- Fedora Core 6 is all but
> fully frozen.  I have a chance to probably get a final update in
> today-ish, but that's going to be it.  So no matter _what_, we're going
> to have large numbers of users using it.  And also, if we make API
> changes, it's going to make things really painful for people.

I'm inclined to agree that one way or the other we're going to have a
lot of people running it and we might as well call it 3.0 as 2.9.9.

I talked with Menno on jabber some today and he said as much.

so the question should be:
 - is everyone reasonably happy with the api? any last-minute,
horribly-breaking changes?