[Yum-devel] 2.9.9 or 3.0?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Oct 4 14:22:21 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 22:15 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> hi all,
>  so, who wants 2.9.9 and who wants 3.0 for the next release based on
> cvs?
>
> do we think current cvs is ready to be 3.0 or should it be 2.9.9....?

I'm pretty strongly in the 3.0 camp.  Let me elaborate -- what do we
think that 3.0 really means?  To me, it means
* We're happy with the current API and aren't going to go changing
things and breaking third party users of the API
* We think that things are sufficiently stable for large numbers of
users

And, to add an additional bit to the pile -- Fedora Core 6 is all but
fully frozen.  I have a chance to probably get a final update in
today-ish, but that's going to be it.  So no matter _what_, we're going
to have large numbers of users using it.  And also, if we make API
changes, it's going to make things really painful for people.

Things like making things faster, while good to do, aren't something
that can't be 3.0.1 fixes.  It even gives a pretty obvious set of stuff
to focus on for 3.0.1.

Jeremy