[Yum-devel] 2.9.9 or 3.0?

Pekka Pietikainen pp at ee.oulu.fi
Wed Oct 4 09:53:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 12:01:34PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> >Also I've been thinking that a single CTRL-C should always kill Yum for
> >consistency with every other cli app out there. This has been mentioned
> >before on the Yum list. I think another signal like CTRL-\ or CTRL-Z
> >should be used to switch mirrors.
>
> Very much +1. People expect ctrl-c to stop the application, not do some
> arbitrary application dependant action. HUP might be a "sane" signal for
> the purpose (hang up and try next number :) but I don't think that's
> mapped to the keyboard normally :-/
Well, Control-C is "die, please", Control-\ is "sudo die". I like the
current behaviour. I agree it's not obvious, control-\ is not that well known,
it seems :/ But anyway, one vote for not misusing control-\ or
(even worse) ctrl-Z for "switch mirrors".

Would printing "Ctrl-C received, switching mirrors. Press Ctrl-\ to quit"
be too annoying?

PS. http://xkcd.com/c149.html ;)