[Yum-devel] transaction tracking

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 02:45:41 UTC 2006

On 11/17/06, seth vidal <skvidal at linux.duke.edu> wrote:

> The other problems it helps with are power outages during a transaction,
> reboots, scriptlets that break the whole system, etc.
>
> There are all sorts of things that can break the transaction that are
> not yum or rpm's fault but a user might want to recover from.
>
> I just cited the rpmdb issue as something that made me think about it
> more.
> -sv

To give a bit of user perspective here I'm looking at right around 3000 yum
failures in our environment since Friday.  Now all of these aren't yum's
fault (probably most of them aren't) but one of the reasons there are so
many is that once yum does fail it will continue to fail till someone logs
in and does a manual repair of the rpmdb.  Needless to say this is time
consuming and some of those machines are peoples laptops, or are in labs
where we can't get to them.

On my own FC6 laptop the crap ati card keeps locking up the whole system.
For some reason it just loves to pick somewhere right after "Running
Transaction". . .  That tells me I've got at least one rpm install that
failed in the middle, and whats actually more frustrating is the case where
I picked my packages using yumex.  There goes another 30 min looking for all
the stuf I realized I didn't have after my install... <sigh>

Now I understand the desire to solve this the "right way" but I for one
would be a user doing back flips of joy to see a feature like the one Seth
describes.  If nothing else its a stop gap till the actual problems could be
resolved.

Thanks for everyone's hard work!
Russell