[Yum-devel] transaction tracking

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Nov 17 15:30:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:23 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 10:15 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > The other problems it helps with are power outages during a transaction,
> > reboots, scriptlets that break the whole system, etc.
> >
> > There are all sorts of things that can break the transaction that are
> > not yum or rpm's fault but a user might want to recover from.
>
> Yeah, but splitting transactions into bite-sized bits helps with these
> too.  And without adding an infrastructure of keeping track of what you
> were trying to do

Except that:

 1. I've seen nothing from anyone that looks like spending time on
splitting the transaction up
 2. doesn't help with bigger upgrade processes where even if you did
split them it would be 1 100-package group and 1 700-package group
 3. It helps us debug issues like the update+erase issue a bit more to
track down where the breakage was happening.